So, they are talking about banning fireworks in the ACT (again), but apparently a 16 year old is given ‘time out’ to have a ciggie because they are stressed?
This is just too much.
I know that everyone will have a field day with the article in the Sunday Telegraph today.
The RiotACT has also been having fun with this one.
In any case, let us count the ways this is wrong.
1) It sets a precedent to every school-age kid that smokes to tell their teaches they are ‘stressed’ and need a ciggie break.
2) This kid is apparently a pack a day smoker at 16. Her face has been plastered on the net and in the paper. She won’t have much luck buying them herself now, which brings me to..
3) Her mother, a smoker, apparently bribed her daughter with cigarettes to make her do chores and stay in school. Illegal Supplier and Mother of the Year?
4) As a comment on the RiotACT states, when her lungs turn to a pile of black ash, she could conceivably sue the Dept. of Education for allowing her to smoke. (although, perhaps they are not. See note below)
5) The Sunday Telegraph really is a trashy paper and they had nothing better to fill in their 50 points lettering with this week.
6) You cannot smoke in any enclosed areas in the ACT, but for some reason a few colleges (Yr. 11 and 12) in the ACT still allow smoking. A ban is being introduced Jan 1, 2008. Because schools aren’t like the first place to might ban it…
This is a note that Stromlo High has apparently issued to parents:
Makes you wonder what the Sunday Telegraph has to even warrant this story in the first place.
Whatever…. I am just angry cause I watched some of The Tobacco Conspiracy on SBS tonight, and I am in one of those moods. (Read ‘The Truth‘ here)
I really…really hate seeing kids hanging outside the mall smoking. I can’t believe that in this day and age it is still cool to smoke. You can’t tell me rebellion exists in all these teenagers enough to want to smoke for any good reason.
I just can’t see any reason…
I will do everything in my power to help my kids avoid even thinking about smoking, let alone get their hands on them….