Ok girls and boys, please play this game with me.
I am going to give you some scenarios and you have to tell me whether I am in a rut or it is a routine
1. My week is almost completely planned out from Monday to Saturday. From jams to sport to kids to gigs. Whilst I don’t mind being busy, sometimes it feels like I am not stopping and the weeks are just slipping by.
2. I don’t eat very well because I’m hardly home and I don’t bother buying fresh food very often because it goes off before I eat it. Hence my diet is pretty shit and includes too much take-away junk and not enough vegies.
3. I spend most of my spare time online. Either reading blogs, facebooking, downloading torrents or chatting. I know I spend too much time doing it and there are probably more productive things to do, but I just don’t know what. I also stay up too late doing these things and feel tired most mornings.
4. My body is telling me to look after it. Whether it’s my dodgy knee, ankle, toe or love handles, I feel like I am not completely fit and I am lacking the motivation to look after myself better.
5. I am living pay to pay, which is something I am used to, but should I budget better? Should I look at trying to save money for a rainy day or a holiday? I am useless at budgets and never stick to them, and I am not in dire straits money wise, but I don’t like having to worry about how much I can spend each fortnight/month.
6. My band is playing quite a lot of gigs and it’s been really good money-wise and great fun, but when you have a gig almost every single Friday or Saturday night and sometimes both, I find I have less time for socialising with friends, less time with the kids and less time with LaLa. It’s hard to scale it back as I want to be in the band and we are really getting a good following in Canberra, but maybe I should be trying to encourage the band to only play every 2nd weekend?
7. Because of No. 6 I find I have not been spending as much time with the kids as I would like. I see them at least once a week when they stay over, but I have not had them stay over on a weekend for a while now. They seem to be ok with it and have not said anything, and neither has the ex, but I know that I have not been pulling my weight. It worries me a little that the kids are getting too used to not seeing me so much and I worry about that.
8. Work is dull. It’s pretty much the same thing day in and day out and my motivation to work is about as big as the motivation to pull my toenails off. There is always the possibility or training and project work coming up which is keeping the fire alive, but only barely. I have been considering looking around for other work, but really don’t want to go through the hassle of job applications/interviews.
Wow…Routine or Rut has turned into a saga about things I am unhappy with in my life.
The thing is, I am not really unhappy at all. I have beautiful kids, a beautiful girl, a loving family and good friends. I earn enough money to live ok, I am in a successful band and I am good at my job and my colleagues like me.
Sometimes I just feel like the weeks are ticking by and I am not achieving much. I am constantly hanging for the weekends or for my next holiday. To me, that spells RUT.
Anyway, if you got this far, thanks for reading. Any ideas on how to keep things interesting and not get stuck in the day to day grind?