It’s that time of year again!
Triple J throws all of the songs from 2009 into the air and then plays them back wherever they land.
As we know, it’s the largst music poll in the WORLD. Yes. Yes it is.
So, it’s been a strange year of music. I don’t think there were any real massive standouts for me. Lots of good songs mind you, but hard to find anything that just stood out and went BAM, I AM THE BEST SONG MOFO!
Having said that, the musical highlights for 2009?
- Seeing Lily Allen live in an intimate acoustic performance at Triple J Studios. You can see my shoulder in the video. (and LaLa’s knee)
- Seeing Eddy Current Suppression Ring live for the first time at Homebake. My eyes (and ears) were wide open in awe. Just amazing.
- Muse‘s new album. Along with 5 pumping rock anthems, there’s also a 3 part symphonic composition. Wanky? No. It’s Muse! It’s awesome.
- Discovering bands like Grizzly Bear, Future of the Left, Whitest Boy Alive, Passion Pit, Mumford & Sons, Temper Trap, Yuksek and Numbers Radio.
- Sweet Disposition by the Temper Trap would definitely have been in my list, but it was released in 2008 (doesn’t stop it from being in the Aria charts in 2010 though!)
- Hearing Eskimo Joe change from a cool, interesting indie Aussie band into a cliched, boring imitation of old Aussie rock bands. Sad. Maybe a lowlight actually.
- Them Crooked Vultures. Best Supergroup since Audioslave. (probably better actually)
Onto the votes!
In no particular order
Bluejuice - Broken Leg – The catchiest song of the year. Funniest film clip too.
Eddy Current Suppression Ring – Anxiety - A frantic frenzy of distortion, riffs and yelling. Perfect.
Flight Of The Conchords – Carol Brown – Best of their disappointing second season album. Especially the “I thought I told you to shut up..” line. Love the home made ‘key-tars’ in the video too.
Gossip, The – Heavy Cross – Such a great rocky song with powerful pumping vocals. Surprise highlight!
Lily Allen – Back To The Start – It’s a great album, and this song shows how Lily has evolved. I just hope she decides to record more..
Muse - Uprising - Powerful opening to an epic album. Can’t wait to see them live in 2 weeks!
Phoenix - Lisztomania - My musical highlight of the year. Great song. Fun lyrics and goes well with the Breakfast Club dancing!
Silversun Pickups – It’s Nice To Know You Work Alone – Only just discovered these guys this year and although they sound a lot like The Smashing Pumpkins circa Siamese Dream, they have a cleaner wall of sound and catchy lyrics.
Them Crooked Vultures – Elephants - Hard to pick just one of this amazing debut from Homme, Grohl and JPJ, but this songs start is enough to give it the win. Have a listen. You won’t regret it. (plus you get to see Grohl rock the fuck out)
Whitest Boy Alive , The – 1517 - This song will take your mood to ‘chillaxed’ within the first 10 seconds. A great relaxing album with cool vocals and groove.
My plan for 2010? As soon as I hear a song that I like I am going to write it down. Either on here, or on a spreadsheet or something. That way I won’t forget those songs that I like. I always struggle to remember the songs that are a little more obscure and happened at the beginning of the year.
What are your votes?